[Nut-upsuser] upsmon+snmp-ups does not shut down system

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 14:53:32 UTC 2012

Hi William,

2012/1/6 William Seligman <seligman at nevis.columbia.edu>

> I've googled and RTFM'ed, but still can't solve this one. I hope you folks
> can.
>
> This affects my entire computer cluster, but let's start simple: I've got a
> computer running NUT; OS is Scientific Linux 5.5; kernel
> 2.6.18-274.12.1.el5xen.
> It connects to an APC SMART-UPS via an APC SmartCard using the snmp-ups
> driver.
> It generally works: upsmon will detect if the battery is low (I get an
> e-mail
> message); I can control the UPS, inspect it variables, set variables, issue
> commands, and so on.

If "On battery" and "Low battery" are both detected, there should be no
issue.

> There's just one thing that does not happen: when the UPS goes critical,
> the
> computer does not shut down. The upsmon daemon does not display any
> messages,
> does not write to the syslog, does not send e-mail, etc.; even though I've
> configured it to do so in upsmon.conf.
>
> I've tried nut-2.2.2, nut-2.4.3, and nut-2.6.2, and the symptom is the
> same.

Using the latest version, when possible, is always a good idea.

> I tried issuing a "graceful reboot" command via the APC SmartCard's web and
> telnet interface. It made no difference; the system still did not shut
> down.
>
> Now let's extend the problem to my cluster: I have a variety of different
> computers, all running Scientific Linux 5.5, connecting through different
> switches, connecting to different flavors of APC SMART-UPSes, via
> SmartCards,
> each ranging in age from six months to five years. They all exhibit this
> same
> symptom, as I painfully discovered during a recent power outage: they all
> sent
> me e-mail when the UPSes went to low battery, but none turned off when the
> UPS
> went critical. Given the range of hardware involved, this must be a common
> software problem.
>
> The systems will shut down properly if I do "upsmon -c fsd", so it doesn't
> appear to be a permissions problem.
>
> I don't think this is the upsdrv_shutdown() issue described in the
> snmp-ups man
> page; I do not care if the UPS shuts down when the computer does, nor do I
> want
> it to. I just want upsmon to shut down the system when the UPS goes
> critical.
>
> Here are my config files; the system is tanya, its UPS is tanya-ups. Any
> advice?
>
> ups.conf:
>
> [tanya-ups]
>        driver = snmp-ups
>        port = tanya-ups
>        community = private
>        mibs = apcc
>
> upsd.conf:
>
> # LISTEN 0.0.0.0 3493
>
> upsd.users:
>
> [admin]
>        password = nowayjose
>        actions = SET
>        instcmds = all
>        upsmon master

it's also a good idea to separate monitoring and administrative users.
Ie:
[admin]
       password = XXX
       actions = SET
       instcmds = all

[monuser]
       password = XXX
       upsmon master

> upsmon.conf:
>
> MONITOR tanya-ups at localhost 1 admin nowayjose master
> MINSUPPLIES 1
> SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h +0"
> NOTIFYCMD /home/bin/notify.sh # sends me e-mail
> POLLFREQ 5
> POLLFREQALERT 5
> HOSTSYNC 15
> DEADTIME 15
> POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
> NOTIFYFLAG ONLINE       SYSLOG
> NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT       SYSLOG+WALL
> NOTIFYFLAG LOWBATT      SYSLOG+WALL
> NOTIFYFLAG FSD          SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> NOTIFYFLAG COMMOK       SYSLOG
> NOTIFYFLAG COMMBAD      SYSLOG
> NOTIFYFLAG SHUTDOWN     SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> NOTIFYFLAG REPLBATT     SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> NOTIFYFLAG NOCOMM       SYSLOG
> NOTIFYFLAG NOPARENT     SYSLOG+WALL
> RBWARNTIME 43200
> NOCOMMWARNTIME 300
> FINALDELAY 5

Your config seems fine.
An interesting test to do would be to stop upsmon, but keep snmp-ups and
upsd, then discharge your UPS and to ensure that you indeed get an
ups.status == "OB LB", which triggers the call to upsmon.conf->SHUTDOWNCMD.
Note that you need both "OB" and "LB", since you may have "low battery" and
be "online" at the same time!

cheers,
Arnaud
--