[Nut-upsuser] Semantic relationships between shudown.stayoff, shutdown.return, and ups.start.auto

Rich Wrenn rwrenn at ddn.com
Sat Jan 14 14:52:40 UTC 2012

Nut-names.txt states that

1.       ups.start.auto controls whether the UPS starts when mains is (re)applied.

2.       shutdown.stayoff causes "turn off the load possibly after a delay and remain even if power returns".

3.       shutdown.return causes "turn off the load possibly after a delay and return when power is back".

1 seems to conflict with 2 and 3.  That is, 2 implies that ups.start.auto=no and 3 implies that ups.start.auto=yes.

Can someone please explain to me the expected behavior for the following cases?

a.       shutdown.stayoff when ups.start.auto=yes

b.      shutdown.stayoff when ups.start.auto=no

c.       shutdown.return when ups.start.auto=yes

d.      shutdown.return when ups.start.auto=no

Thanks,
Rich

PS, I am working with the Eaton Powerware 5115 which as no ups.start.auto variable, and in that case the semantics are clear.  But, I am also working with an Eaton Evolution 1550 which does have a ups.start.auto variable, and in that case the semantic relationships are not clear.