[Nut-upsuser] Semantic relationships between shudown.stayoff, shutdown.return, and ups.start.auto

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 15:44:07 UTC 2012

On Jan 14, 2012, at 9:52 AM, Rich Wrenn wrote:

> Nut-names.txt states that
> 1.       ups.start.auto controls whether the UPS starts when mains is (re)applied.
> 2.       shutdown.stayoff causes “turn off the load possibly after a delay and remain even if power returns”.
> 3.       shutdown.return causes “turn off the load possibly after a delay and return when power is back”.
>
> 1 seems to conflict with 2 and 3.  That is, 2 implies that ups.start.auto=no and 3 implies that ups.start.auto=yes.

My understanding of the "ups.start.auto" setting is that it only applies when an explicit shutdown command has not been given (and therefore would be overridden by one of the shutdown.* commands, if NUT is configured to manage the shutdown process).

That said, I'll defer to someone who knows the specifics of the Eaton hardware for information on how it should work. The UPS firmware has a lot of leeway in how the commands and settings are interpreted.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail