[Nut-upsuser] usbhid-ups not finding CyberPower PP1100 on Fedora 16

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:08:29 UTC 2012

On Jul 25, 2012, at 1:22 AM, Don Lewis wrote:

> If I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, usbhid-ups stops working
> until I start and stop pwrstatd.

Hm, that's a pleasant surprise.

There is probably something in the initialization dance in pwrstatd that we could replicate in usbhid-ups. Are you familiar with strace or ltrace?

Just for reference, can you run 'lsusb -v' again (probably as root) after starting and stopping pwrstatd, then starting and stopping usbhid-ups? It sounds silly, but I'm hoping that pwrstatd will kick the UPS into gear, and usbhid-ups will tell the kernel to get out of the way so that we can see something other than "** UNAVAILABLE **" for the Report Descriptor section.

Even if you can use the start-and-stop pwrstatd trick, all of the values reported by the usbhid-ups debug messages are in the vendor-specific 0xFF00 range, and so we would need to create mappings between them and the NUT variable names. (Note that pwrstatd says your computer is on utility power, but nut says "OB" - on battery.)

Thanks for your debugging efforts,

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail