[Nut-upsuser] battery.charge and other fixes needed for X-Power Tigra 1kVA

Frédéric Bohé fredericbohe at eaton.com
Mon May 14 09:54:14 UTC 2012

hello Michail,

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 09:05 +0300, Tmima Pliroforikis Perifereiakis
Enotitas Pierias wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > The "bestups" driver does not have a lot of debugging information, and when that driver was written, it was also not possible to anticipate the wide range of products which would use this protocol.
>
> Indeed, trying blazer_ser worked. I had to use novendor, but apart from
> that it does report data back to me, and battery charge seems perfect
> this time, without any needed adjustments to ups.conf:
>
> battery.charge: 100
> battery.voltage: 41.04
> battery.voltage.high: 39.00
> battery.voltage.low: 31.20
> battery.voltage.nominal: 36.0
> beeper.status: disabled
> device.type: ups
> driver.flag.novendor: enabled
> driver.name: blazer_ser
> driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
> driver.parameter.port: com1
> driver.version: 2.6.3-3534:3545M
> driver.version.internal: 1.52
> input.current.nominal: 5.0
> input.frequency: 50.0
> input.frequency.nominal: 50
> input.voltage: 225.1
> input.voltage.fault: 223.7
> input.voltage.nominal: 230
> output.voltage: 230.7
> ups.delay.shutdown: 30
> ups.delay.start: 180
> ups.load: 35
> ups.status: OL
> ups.temperature: 30.0
> ups.type: online
>
> Thanks a zillion! Perhaps you'd like to add XPower Tigra 1000 to the
> database as working with blazer_ser?
>
> > I think it is worth trying the "blazer_ser" driver (which theoretically works with a superset of the Best UPS protocols). If nothing else, it should provide some more information on the strings returned by the UPS, so it might be easier to see where that negative number is coming from.
> >
> >> 3) Regardless if the battery.charge is correct, will the system shutdown when battery charge is low?
> >
> > It should, since the "on battery" and "battery low" states are, by default, signaled by status bits directly from the UPS (not from any calculations in the driver).
>
> Thanks, this is the single thing that I want to be properly working. I
> hope that the NUT Windows code to perform a shutdown and clean the
> killflag is stable, back then in FreeBSD I did stumble upon a number of
> power race issues. Hope they are resolved here.
>
> And some more questions:
>
> 1) Upon reception of a shutdown command, my server takes approx. 60" for
> shutdown. Can I set on this Windows server the ups itself to power down
> after say 90"? According to the upsc output above, the ups has set
> ups.delay.shutdown to 30". By adding offdelay = 120 (from the docs it
> seems that offdelay values > 60" are rounded to multiples of 60") in
> ups.conf or by other means will NUT as part of the shutdown procedure
> call automatically:
> 	upscmd <upsname> shutdown.return 1
> for it to work? Or should I insert this command somewhere to make sure
> that the offdelay value will be respected?

       offdelay = value
           Time to wait before shutting down the UPS (seconds). This
value
           is truncated to units of 6 seconds (less than 60 seconds) or
60
           seconds (more than 60 seconds). Defaults to 30 seconds.

So you can try to add this to your ups.conf and see if it works.

> 2) Similarly, I'd like the UPS to turn on after 3'. ondelay is already
> set to 180". Should I do something else like specifying:
> 	upscmd <upsname> shutdown.return 1
> at some point, or will upsmon take care of this automatically?

>From the same man page:

       ondelay = value
           Time to wait before switching on the UPS (minutes). Note that
           value below 3 minutes, may cause earlier firmware versions to
not
           switch on automatically, so it defaults to 3 minutes.

Try it in your ups.conf.

> 3) Finally, something tricky. Upon reception low battery, I would also
> like to issue an extra command to a VMWare ESXi 5 (the free vSphere
> hypervisor) host to turn off. This is the free ESXi 5 version. I have
> found a related article, which needs a SSH connection to occur the
> VMWare host at shutdown time. So I was thinking on how a command like
> that should be issued. Remember that the server that the UPS is
> connected to is a physical (not VM) Win 2003 server. Would modifying
> SHUTDOWNCMD to, say, :
> SHUTDOWNCMD "C:\\myown.bat"
>
> ...and having myown.bat do the actual shutdown, in parallel with the
> SSHing stuff like do the trick?
>
> myown.bat:
> SSH cmd here blah blah
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0

Yes it should be OK. You can call any batch or binary file as
SHUTDOWNCMD command.

Regards,
Fred

Eaton Opensource Team - http://opensource.eaton.com