[Nut-upsuser] APC Back UPS ES 700

Denis Serov dns-srv at yandex.ru
Thu Nov 8 06:46:08 UTC 2012

Hello!

I have tested APC Back UPS ES 700 and NUT 2.6.5-3 a few days ago and I have
got some news.

This device is detected by nut-scanner as:

[nutdev1]
        driver = "usbhid-ups"
        port = "auto"
        vendorid = "051D"
        productid = "0002"
        product = "Back-UPS ES 700 FW:829.D2 .I USB FW:D2 "
        serial = "5B0811T33088  "
        vendor = "APC"
        bus = "bus-0"

First of all, this version does not work properly with the device,
usbhid-ups returns "libusb_get_report:
libusb0-dll:err [control_msg] sending control message failed, win error: A
device attached to the system
is not functioning" (apc_bu_es700_usbhid_ups.txt).

I decided that the problem is related to the tweak for ES 525 model and I
rebuilt NUT with
TWEAK_BACK_UPS_ES define that was equal to "Back-UPS ES 525".

As result, the problem with ES 700 has gone (apc_bu_es700_upsc.txt).

So, it seems that ES 700 and ES 525 have quite different firmware.

It would be great if TWEAK_BACK_UPS_ES define was implemented as regular
expression like
"Back-UPS ES (\d+)" and there was a hardcoded list of model's numbers to
apply the tweak =)

Thanks,
Denis