[Nut-upsuser] Control power output via serial connection

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Sun Nov 18 14:42:02 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-18 13:10, Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two APC UPS models and I am trying to find out if it is possible
> to cut power down via serial connection in Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 AMD64
> system.
>
> I have models:
>      APC Back-UPS Pro 650 (BP650SI)
>      APC Back-UPS 650 (BK650MI)

IIRC, back-ups series only work in "dumb" mode - but I'm not 100% sure.
They should work either with usbhid-ups or genericups drivers (depending
if they have usb port or not), but I have no first hand experience with
them.

> I have also APC serial cables 940-0020C and 940-0095B.

Both cables are for simple signalling, they differ in details though (I
persume one is from BP650SI, the other BK650MI).