[Nut-upsuser] Control power output via serial connection

Tero termant at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 23:39:03 UTC 2012

On 18.11.2012 15:54, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2012, at 7:10 AM, Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
>
>> I have two APC UPS models and I am trying to find out if it is possible
>> to cut power down via serial connection in Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 AMD64
>> system.
>>
>> I have models:
>>    APC Back-UPS Pro 650 (BP650SI)
>>    APC Back-UPS 650 (BK650MI)
>>
>> I have also APC serial cables 940-0020C and 940-0095B.
>>
>> Is this possible with my current hardware?
> Maybe Michal Soltys has some additional insight into these models, but my first guess is that they are old enough (pre-2009) to work with the 'apcsmart' driver, and they should support normal low-battery shutdowns:
>
> http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/apcsmart.html
>
>> If it isn't possible, could
>> you recommend model(s) on which has this feature?
>> Does it exist models with which user is able to control the power per
>> power socket?
>
> One way to do power control with your existing UPS is to add a Power Distribution Unit (PDU). NUT supports several:
>
> http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html?device-type=pdu
>
> It's difficult for us to recommend specific UPS models, since it seems like every time we find a good one, the manufacturer changes hardware under the hood (using the same model number), or they change to a new, incompatible proprietary protocol (APC did this in ~2009 with their Microlink protocol). My recommendation is to buy from a distributor with a good return policy.

Hi,

I tried apcsmart driver with the following settings in ups.conf

[apc]
	driver = apcsmart
	port = /dev/ttyS0

and

[apc]
	driver = apcsmart
	port = /dev/ttyS1

In both cases I get following response:

Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.6.3
Network UPS Tools - APC Smart protocol driver 3.0 (2.6.3)
APC command table version 3.0
Communications with UPS lost: timeout
Communications with UPS lost: timeout
Communications with UPS lost: timeout
Communications with UPS lost: timeout
Communications with UPS lost: timeout
unable to detect an APC Smart protocol UPS on port /dev/ttyS1
check the cabling, port name or model name and try again
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

I also tried the genericups driver with the following settings

[apc]
	driver = genericups
	port = /dev/ttyS1
	upstype = 2

while using cable 940-0020C. I got the following response

Network UPS Tools - Generic contact-closure UPS driver 1.36 (2.6.3)
Duplicate driver instance detected! Terminating other driver!
UPS type: APC Back-UPS (940-0020B/C cable)

Is the following OK?

Tero