[Nut-upsuser] APC Smart-UPS 1200

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 16:26:12 UTC 2012

2012/10/4 Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>

> On 10/04/2012 05:55 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Also note that this unit is supported through USB, but recent SmartUPS
>> (for ~ 3 years) use a new serial protocol, called microlink, which is not
>> supported in NUT (nor in any other opensource solution).
>>

> Is that true for the SmartUPS 1000 VA (
> http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua1000i) ? I plan to buy one next week and if it's not supported by nut ( or
> apcupsd in case of emergency ) I'll go shopping something else

AFAICT, "newer" (since ~3 years) APC unit using the microlink for serial
communication are not supported anywhere.
Binary protocol, not documented, nor reverse engineered (yet).
Some readings: http://forums.isxusergroups.com/thread.jspa?messageID=29863

Another reading (search for "Do Not Purchase The Following UPSes"):
http://www.apcupsd.com/

cheers,
Arnaud
--