[Nut-upsuser] APC Smart-UPS 1200

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Thu Oct 4 23:01:17 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-04 22:59, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2012/10/4 Kris Jordan <nut.kj at sagebrushnetworks.com
> <mailto:nut.kj at sagebrushnetworks.com>>
>
>     Arnaud Quette wrote, On 10/4/2012 9:26 AM:
>

>         2012/10/4 Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
>         <mailto:wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>
>         <mailto:wolfy at nobugconsulting.__ro
>         <mailto:wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>>>
>

>              On 10/04/2012 05:55 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>                  [...]
>
>                  Also note that this unit is supported through USB, but
>         recent
>                  SmartUPS (for ~ 3 years) use a new serial protocol, called
>                  microlink, which is not supported in NUT (nor in any other
>                  opensource solution).
>

>              Is that true for the SmartUPS 1000 VA (
>         http://www.apc.com/resource/__include/techspec_index.cfm?__base_sku=sua1000i
>         <http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua1000i>
>              ) ? I plan to buy one next week and if it's not supported
>         by nut (
>              or apcupsd in case of emergency ) I'll go shopping
>         something else
>

>         AFAICT, "newer" (since ~3 years) APC unit using the microlink
>         for serial communication are not supported anywhere.
>         Binary protocol, not documented, nor reverse engineered (yet).
>         Some readings:
>         http://forums.isxusergroups.__com/thread.jspa?messageID=__29863
>         <http://forums.isxusergroups.com/thread.jspa?messageID=29863>
>
>         Another reading (search for "Do Not Purchase The Following UPSes"):
>         http://www.apcupsd.com/
>

>     Apcupsd works with microlink UPS's, but only the most basic status
>     info is provided. It's not the microlink protocol it's working with,
>     but some other basic communication mode those UPS's provide. You can
>     get full info back by purchasing the legacy communications card.
>

> I'm not an APC expert, so there might be slight nuances or updates that
> I'm not aware of.
> as told, AFAICT any units that use microlink *doesn't* work with serial
> driver.
> but as also told on Apcupsd webpage, USB works (basically) and expansion
> cards are another option.
>
> what is part of the nuances is the declination of SmartUPS units:
> SMX/SMT, RT XL are the only one mentioned.
> are there other SmartUPS models that either use microlink but provides a
> minimal set of data, or units still using the old protocol?
>
> anyone that can help clarifying this, preferably with a wrap-up, is very
> welcome to do so!
> here is the current situation:
> http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html?manufacturer=APC
>
> and if anyone can provide microlink snoops for analysis, I would be
> pleased to take a look at it.
>
>     Does NUT not work in a similar way with these UPS's?
>

> I'll delegate the right answer to Michal. Mine would be "very likely"...

AFAIK, SUA should be fully supported. Even at APC's site there's an
overpriced smart cable as an option for that particular model ;) Though
I'm a bit surprised that ups model is still listed there (as available,
in Romania). Recollecting from older threads on apc forums or mails on
apcupsd list, I think there was someone complaining that he couldn't buy
SUA models anymore and was offered SMT as a replacement.

For SMT, SMX, RTD models the only (serial) option of talking to nut or
apcupsd through smart protocol is:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP9620

You can easily distinguish new models by having rj45 instead of serial.

Before/if you decide to purchase it, doublecheck everything.