[Nut-upsuser] Zigor Ebro 650 compatibility

Martyn Hill martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 19:31:24 UTC 2012

Hi Arnaud

I have not made progress with re-compiling NUT against libusb-0.1 on my
FreeBSD v8.2 box as I cannot figure out how to do so.

Instead, I built a FreeBSD v7.4 install in a VM (VirtualBox) on my XP
laptop and attempted to test NUT there as a PoC for this UPS.

FeeBSD definately uses libusb-0.1, as the following linkage for
blazer_usb shows:

/usr/local/libexec/nut/blazer_usb:
     libusb-0.1.so.8 => /usr/local/lib/libusb-0.1.so.8 (0x2808d000)
     libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5 (0x28093000)
     libthr.so.3 => /lib/libthr.so.3 (0x280a9000)
     libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x280be000)

Unfortunately, VirtualBox refused to allow me to attach the UPS USB port
to the guest OS (saying 'busy with a previous request'), so that came to
nothing - and after several night's effort::-(

So, do you (or anyone else here) have any guidance on how to force NUT
to link against libusb-0.1 at compile time ???

I'm still not convinced that the FreeBSD implementation of libusb v2 is
fully compatible with v0.1 - the available documentation is confusing...

Meanwhile, I've seen a posting from a FreeBSD v9 user, who clearly gets
further than the 'Unknown error' message that I get when running their
(supported) UPS over USB in FreeBSD...

I'll also try to work out why that USB_DEBUG variable doesn't seem to
have any effect for me - probably a shell thing...

Regards,
Martyn.

On 17/08/2012 17:28, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> beside of the recompilation with libusb 0.1, I'm still interested in
> seeing a verbose USB log from the current driver.
> so if "export USB_DEBUG=3" doesn't work, there should be another way
> to do the same thing.
>
> cheers,
> Arno (on holidays for 3 weeks, as of now...)
-- "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand
binary and those who don't."