[Nut-upsuser] infosec e4

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 02:31:32 UTC 2013

On Aug 1, 2013, at 8:21 PM, James HORLEY wrote:

> I compile nut with the voltronic-driver on my computer then I've copy the driver "/lib/nut/voltronic_ser" on the server.
> I can now shutdown the ups using "upscmd -u admin myups shutdown.return".

Good to know.

> My first question is, is it really ok to only take the driver whithout taking the whole package?

It's not a long-term solution. In your case, since it's a new driver, it won't get overwritten. However, as mentioned in another email, the structures that are used to communicate between upsd and the drivers haven't changed much recently, and happen to be the same for the two versions you are using. If you really wanted to, you could recompile the entire .deb package.

> I'm using upssched to shutdown server after 15mn on battery, the "shutdown -h +0" isn't enough to shutdown ups.

It used to work in stock Debian. I haven't tried it myself recently - I think the only system that was up during our last power outage here was a FreeBSD system.

> Do I need to use upscmd in order to shutdown ups, or is there another way?

The system shutdown scripts should call "upsdrvctl shutdown" for you. If not, I would file a bug against the distribution package.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail