[Nut-upsuser] N-Power MEV-3000LT compatibility report and problem

Александр Безруков phmagic at mail.ru
Sun Aug 11 15:25:49 UTC 2013

 Hello list,

first of all, I'd like to report that my UPS

N-Power MEV-3000LT
(http://www.380v.ru/catalogue/micro-ups/mega-vision , in Russian),

which is not in the hardware compatibility list, is mostly supported
by the blazer_ser driver. I have very strong grounds to believe that
this (and other) N-Power UPS'es are rebranded for Russian and
Italian markets from their counterparts produced by Powerbank
Electronics Corporation in Taiwan
(http://www.powerbank.com.tw/products.php?cat=65&lang=en).
I believe they are the same not only because they look the same,
have the same specifications etc but also because being in Taipei
first I wanted to buy a Powerbank UPS and they told me that they
obliged not to sell these UPSes in Taiwan and sent me to
Moscow to N-Power, suggesting to buy from them.

So I believe the compatibility list deserves two new lines.

Now what doesn't work.

1. Shutdown
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# /lib64/nut/blazer_ser -amv -k -DDD
Network UPS Tools - Megatec/Q1 protocol serial driver 1.55 (2.6.5-Unversioned directory)
   0.000000    debug level is '3'
   0.108370    Initiating UPS shutdown
   0.108561    send: 'C'
   0.150967    read: 'NAK'
   0.151021    instcmd: command [shutdown.stop] failed
   0.151162    send: 'C'
   0.193506    read: 'NAK'
   0.193598    instcmd: command [shutdown.stop] failed
   0.193725    send: 'C'
   0.236016    read: 'NAK'
   0.236093    instcmd: command [shutdown.stop] failed
   0.236127    Shutdown failed!

Probably the 'C' command has some unlocking mechanism. I remember around 15 years ago
I had a cheap Ippon UPS which spoke the same protocol. This UPS fed a Windows PC and
had the following problem: during Windows boot-up, when Windows started their own (that time,
non-standard) COM-port plug-n-play enumeration of devices, the UPS with a small probability
perceived this sequence as 'C' (or 'T', if I still remember right the protocol) and after 30 second
switched off the computer being boot. I had to reverse engineer the program is this UPS and
discovered commands to lock/unlock shutdown commands which solved the problem. Probably
a similar mechanism is implemented in this my UPS but shutdown commands are locked by
default. I do not insist on this version, I just want to share this idea.

Maybe this is a known problem, then I would appreciate any pointer to find the solution.

2. Reporting battery.runtime and battery.charge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am not sure this has to do with the support of this very specie, likely this is rather a bug in the driver
or in the documentation.

With this bare configuration:
[mv]
        driver = blazer_ser
        port = /dev/ttyS0
        desc = "N-Power MegaVision 3000LT"

and with a fully charged battery the driver reports the following variables:

battery.charge: 100
battery.voltage: 109.44
battery.voltage.high: 104.00
battery.voltage.low: 83.20
battery.voltage.nominal: 96.0
device.type: ups
driver.name: blazer_ser
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
driver.version: 2.6.5-Unversioned directory
driver.version.internal: 1.55
input.current.nominal: 13.0
input.frequency: 50.1
input.frequency.nominal: 50
input.voltage: 209.8
input.voltage.fault: 225.1
input.voltage.nominal: 230
output.voltage: 230.7
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 30
ups.delay.start: 180
ups.load: 15
ups.status: OL
ups.temperature: 41.5
ups.type: online

Now I would elaborate the config and make use of the runtime guestimation.
I added the following lines:

runtimecal = 2000,100,5000,50
chargetime = 86400
default.battery.voltage.high = 109.6
default.battery.voltage.low = 84.4
default.battery.capacity = 40

I didn't do any measuerements yet and these data are based solely on the datasheet of
my batteries and common sense. Now I get

battery.capacity: 40
battery.charge: 0
battery.runtime: 1
battery.voltage: 109.44
battery.voltage.high: 109.6
battery.voltage.low: 84.4
[...]

or in the documentation (if one understand the documentation wrongly, this is probably a bug in there).

[...]

I didn't do any real measuerements yet and these data are based solely on the
datasheet of my batteries and common sense. Now I get

battery.capacity: 40
battery.charge: 0
battery.runtime: 1
battery.voltage: 109.44
battery.voltage.high: 109.6
battery.voltage.low: 84.4
battery.voltage.nominal: 96.0

with battery.charge and battery.runtime slowly (very slow!) grossing.

Is this expected?

I would appreciate any help with these two problems. I would be happy to provide any
details.

Thanks and regards.
Alexander.