[Nut-upsuser] Opti-UPS Value Series 575C

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Aug 28 04:52:20 UTC 2013

* Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> [2013-08-27 19:53:38 -0400]:
> On Aug 26, 2013, at 3:10 PM, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> > Also, what does the red color mean in the compability table? Anything
> > that's not supported, or is it just "you have to solder your own cable
> > but then you should be okay"?
>
> Technically, one star is "protocol based on reverse engineering"
> (key is at the top of the page) but the ratings are somewhat
> subjective beyond that (some protocols are easier to understand than
> others).

Ah. The filter/key box doesn't work without javascript (which I have
deactivated by default), and it's unnoticable there's something
missing.

> > On the other hand, if it doesn't work, I might just start trying to
> > reverse-engineer the protocol. Sounds like a nice way to get started
> > with reverse-engineering :)
>
> There are some pointers in the list archives (also check
> nut-upsdev). It's certainly up to you as to how you want to approach
> this, but we do see a lot of commonality in the protocols - so feel
> free to post updates as you go along. There is a good chance that
> the protocol is similar to another driver, but that driver may have
> failed to detect that protocol variant.

Okay, will read a bit. I contacted a friend of mine who has a logic
analyzer, so I can figure out if it's actually a standard serial
connection, and if so I'll try to find a Windows machine and sniff the
serial connection. :)

The custom cable with the optiups driver didn't work out by the way.

I probably should've checked the original cable first... if it's a
standard RS232 DB9 connection, I might have fried something now when
connecting UPS DSR (Input) to PC Tx and UPS DTR and RTS (Output) to PC
GND. (Okay, after researching the pins it sounds to me as like nothing
too serious _should_ have happened)

Well, you're always more clever after you fucked up. :D

Florian

--
() ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail    www.asciiribbon.org
/\ www.the-compiler.org  | I love long mails http://email.is-not-s.ms/