[Nut-upsuser] Opti-UPS Value Series 575C

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 23:53:38 UTC 2013

On Aug 26, 2013, at 3:10 PM, Florian Bruhin wrote:

> queequeg

Subtlety is key :-)

> It came with some "Sentinel" software for Windows.

Hmm, not sure if this is similar to software we have seen before.

> Also, what does the red color mean in the compability table? Anything
> that's not supported, or is it just "you have to solder your own cable
> but then you should be okay"?

Technically, one star is "protocol based on reverse engineering" (key is at the top of the page) but the ratings are somewhat subjective beyond that (some protocols are easier to understand than others).

> On the other hand, if it doesn't work, I might just start trying to
> reverse-engineer the protocol. Sounds like a nice way to get started
> with reverse-engineering :)

There are some pointers in the list archives (also check nut-upsdev). It's certainly up to you as to how you want to approach this, but we do see a lot of commonality in the protocols - so feel free to post updates as you go along. There is a good chance that the protocol is similar to another driver, but that driver may have failed to detect that protocol variant.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail