[Nut-upsuser] (newb) Installing on windows w/Eaton 5110.

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Tue Dec 17 17:45:57 UTC 2013

I like to think of myself as reasonably intelligent when it comes to
systems (MS in Comp Sci, albeit a few hundred moons ago), but I seem to
be missing something when it comes to installing NUT on a 64 bit windows
XP system.

I downloaded and attempted it install but the installer said I needed
to install libusb manually.  So I went and grabbed that, unpacked the
ZIP file and ran the x86/install-filter and re-ran the installation.

Running nut-scanner finds the UPS but
-------------
Cannot load NUT library (libupsclient) : The specified module could not
be found .. NUT search disabled.
Scanning USB bus.
No start IP, skipping SNMP
Scanning XML/HTTP bus.
[nutdev1]
        driver = "bcmxcp_usb"
        port = "auto"
        vendorid = "0592"
        productid = "0002"
        product = "Powerware UPS"
        bus = "bus-0"

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more
information.

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more
information.
------------

upsdrvctl stop and start don't complain...

------------
C:\Program Files (x86)\NUT\bin>upsdrvctl stop
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.6.5-3723:3731M

C:\Program Files (x86)\NUT\bin>upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.6.5-3723:3731M

C:\Program Files (x86)\NUT\bin>Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver
0.26 (2.6.5 -3723:3731M)
USB communication subdriver 0.21
-------------

But many other commands complain...

-------------
C:\Program Files (x86)\NUT\bin>upsc nutdev1
Error: Connection failure: Unknown error

which makes me think I probably missed a step...  Any hints would be
most appreciated.

For what it's worth, the 'system' is a host with several 'vmware
player' VMs running on it. The eventual goal would be to have the host
running as a nut server and have each of the VMs running a nut client
so they can shut themselves down gracefully in the event of a longer
power outage.

Thanks again,
Bruce