[Nut-upsuser] Installing NUT on Solaris

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Mon Jul 1 23:42:46 UTC 2013

On 7/1/2013 2:55 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2013, at 12:47 PM, John Thurston wrote:
>
>> I'm running Solaris 10 on a dozen SPARC boxes. I'd like to explore NUT for use with our snmp UPS, but I'm unable to complete the configure/make/install process.
>>
>> Can anyone share a how-to for solaris?
>
> Here's some general NUT-on-Solaris information:
>
> http://people.cs.clemson.edu/~gdowdin/work/ch06.html
>
> Can't vouch for that specifically - I haven't used Solaris in years, and had a hard time getting OpenSolaris working back when that was an option. That said, we might be able to reach out to someone at Eaton to see how they set up the Buildbot slave for NUT.
>
> What errors are you getting? How are you installing the SNMP support packages?

I thought I'd see if I could first get it to work without snmp support.
I've started with a basic Solaris install and added the following
packages from sunfreeware
   libiconv-1.14-sol10-sparc-local
   gcc-3.4.6-sol10-sparc-local
   make-3.82-sol10-sparc-local
   libintl-3.4.0-sol10-sparc-local

Working from Mike Nowak's notes at:
   https://blogs.oracle.com/mikey/entry/network_ups_tools_on_solaris

> ./configure --prefix=/opt/nut --with-statepath=/var/ups --with-user=ups --with-group=ups

returns alright, but the subsequent "make" fails with:
> make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/downloads/nut-2.6.5/common'
> /bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc -I../include -g -O2 -Wall -Wsign-compare   -o libparseconf.la  parseconf.lo  -lrt -lsocket -lnsl
> libtool: link: false cru .libs/libparseconf.a .libs/parseconf.o
> make[1]: *** [libparseconf.la] Error 1

But at this point I don't know if I have some library in the wrong
location, or if the makefile is being told to look in the wrong
location, or something else entirely.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services