[Nut-upsuser] Cannot connect to a Eaton Ellipse Pulsar ASR/6000VA usbs [solved] but new problem surfaces.

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 13:07:45 UTC 2013

On Jun 20, 2013, at 8:55 AM, Louis Chaillet wrote:

> Unfortunately when testing the UPS does not power down. The problem is the upsdrvctl cannot pass the command to the ups.
>
> this is the message from  upsdrvctl
>
> louis at b3:/etc/nut$ sudo upsdrvctl shutdown eaton
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.3
> Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.34 (2.4.3)
> USB communication driver 0.31
> Using subdriver: MGE HID 1.18
> libusb_get_report: error sending control message: Device or resource busy
> Got disconnected by another driver: Device or resource busy
> Can't initialize data from HID UPS
> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
>
> I unplugged the usb and replugged and start nutted again, no change.

We could probably improve the documentation around this, but "upsdrvctl shutdown" is meant to run late in the shutdown sequence, after the rest of the NUT daemons (upsd and the drivers) are already stopped.

The reference to "upsdrvctl -t shutdown" is only meant to show the shutdown order in a multi-UPS setup:

http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/ar01s06.html#Shutdown_design

A usual end-to-end test would involve the "upsmon -c fsd" command, which simulates a low battery condition. That does involve upsd, upsmon, and the drivers.

Please let us know how we can clarify this part of the documentation.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail