[Nut-upsuser] Is UPSD necessary for average users?

David N Melik dchmelik at hipplanet.com
Mon Oct 7 08:48:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 08:18:12 -0400
Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2013, at 11:58 PM, David N Melik wrote:
>
> > I followed the NUT instructions that are on the projects site, I
> > think,
>
> ^ The official NUT site? Feel free to post the URL.
>
> > and they said to set up USBD, so I did. Is that necessary for
> > average users using one PC (rather than servers), or will something
> > not work right if I reread and turn off USBD?
>

> I think Alexander explained upsd well, but here's some additional
> history and explanation.

Thanks... and I did mean UPSD

> What are you trying to optimize?

nothing, but I just did not want another daemon running, or at least I
do not want a port open that can access the UPS, because I will not be
using it; it is more of a minor security issue than anything. The
instructions I read said to set up that port in NUT configuration, but I
would rather not set that.