[Nut-upsuser] Is USBD necessary for average users?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 12:18:12 UTC 2013

On Oct 1, 2013, at 11:58 PM, David N Melik wrote:

> I followed the NUT instructions that are on the projects site, I think,

^ The official NUT site? Feel free to post the URL.

> and they said to set up USBD, so I did. Is that necessary for average
> users using one PC (rather than servers), or will something not work
> right if I reread and turn off USBD?

I think Alexander explained upsd well, but here's some additional history and explanation.

Question 10, Answer 2 of the FAQ <http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/FAQ.html> points out that it is possible to customize the NUT code, and combine upsmon and upsd into a single daemon that talks to a driver. The disadvantage is that you wouldn't be able to connect more than one client at a time, so debugging the driver with upsc would no longer be possible.

Arnaud also experimented with writing a freedesktop.org HAL version of the usbhid-ups driver. This was more suited to a single PC, and worked much like the laptop battery power monitors, but HAL is deprecated now. We could certainly use more help in this area - I think a lot of the people who have contributed to NUT over the years have needed more of the "data center" functionality.

What are you trying to optimize?

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail