[Nut-upsuser] Fwd: Liebert PSA UPS problem.

Paul Smith paul at smithp.co.uk
Tue Sep 10 13:30:13 UTC 2013

Hi all,
   Sorry for the delay - three business trips abroad and LOTS of head
scratching with USB Keys and DVD's of SuSE and FreeBSD...

The question about the USB reports from Windows is still unanswered (I am
abroad again !), but *think* the Liebert driver had been stopped.

I can report the following updates for my linux setups; SuSE/FreeBSD/FreeNAS
[remember here I am trying to make nut work for a physical machine running
FreeNAS]:

* SuSE Live CD will successfully obtain descriptors. Hurrah!
* I am not sure how being able to build NUT for a SuSE environment may help,
but I think I am in a situation where I can do it. - I now have a 'Live' USB
stick and a partition on it that is persistent. This also reads the
descriptors.
* my NAS box has now been updated to FreeNAS 9.1 ... but there is no change
to UPS behaviour - still can't obtain descriptors.
* I now also have FreeBSD 9.1 (not FreeNAS, but the 'base' of it) running as
a VM, not as a 'Live' install - this includes nut sources which I believe I
can build for my NAS box.
* Both implementations of nut : FreeBSD 9.1 in a VM environment and FreeNAS
9.1 as a physical standalone machine behave in the same way...i.e. can't
obtain the descriptors properly, even though the same SuSE version of nut
can.
* I am now stuck again - my FreeBSD "ports" collection for nut does not seem
to be the latest source - it reports "Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver
0.37 (2.6.4)" ... my NAS box and SuSE implementations both report 2.6.5
* Finally my FreeBSD VM output is only as follows - I am not sure why it is
not finding the UPS:
       0.000000	debug level is '5'
       0.024036	upsdrv_initups...
       0.025984	No appropriate HID device found
       0.026251	No matching HID UPS found
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.37 (2.6.4)
USB communication driver 0.31

I was hoping to be able to report back that my FreeBSD implementation was
working in the same way as my FreeNAS, but this seems to have a more
fundamental reason for not wanting to play.

Regards,
Paul.