[Nut-upsuser] Anyone successfully used NUT with the Eaton "5E Essential UPS"

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 00:54:21 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Shane Alderton
<shane at northlandease.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Wondering whether anyone has managed to get NUT working with the Eaton
> 5E Essential UPS, or has any tips as to what I might try to get it
> working, or whether I'm just out of luck?
>

> My config is:
> OS name and version: Kubuntu 14.04
> exact NUT version: 2.7.1-1ubuntu1
> NUT installation method: sudo apt-get install nut
> exact device name: 5E2000iUSB-AU
> ups.conf entry:
> [Eaton5E2000]
> driver = usbhid-ups -DD
> port = auto
> desc = "Eaton 5E2000 UPS"
> Output of "sudo /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DD -a Eaton5E2000":
> Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.38 (2.7.1)
> USB communication driver 0.32
[...]
> 0.022796 Checking device (0463/FFFF) (003/006)
> 0.023496 - VendorID: 0463
> 0.023511 - ProductID: ffff
> 0.023517 - Manufacturer: unknown
> 0.023522 - Product: unknown
> 0.023528 - Serial Number: unknown
> 0.023533 - Bus: 003
> 0.023538 Trying to match device
> 0.023546 Device matches
> 0.024498 Unable to get HID descriptor (error sending control message:
> Broken pipe)
> 0.024518 HID descriptor length 549
> 0.024861 Unable to get Report descriptor: Broken pipe

Hi Shane,

Going through old list posts, and I noticed the similarity to Leith's email:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2014-August/009128.html

The "Broken pipe" error message might also show up in dmesg output as
"error -32".

What kind of motherboard do you have, and what version of the kernel
are you running?