[Nut-upsuser] multiple identical UPS on same server

Marcello Vezzelli m.vezzelli at e-works.it
Wed Aug 13 10:41:24 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I installed latest version of Nut on Debian Wheezy 64bit.
This is a virtual server hosted by VMware ESXi. It's a Nagios monitoring server.
I configured one Sweex UPS in ups.conf and everything is working.

ups.conf:

[sweex1]
   driver = blazer_usb
   port = auto
   runtimecal = 1100,100,2200,50

Now I want to connect two more identical UPSes to the same server, total of
3 UPSes.
I see from nut documentation that for driver blazer_usb I can specify a Bus
parameter.

root at nagios:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0003 VMware, Inc. Virtual Mouse
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub
Bus 002 Device 046: ID 0665:5161 Cypress Semiconductor USB to Serial
Bus 002 Device 085: ID 0665:5161 Cypress Semiconductor USB to Serial
Bus 002 Device 098: ID 0665:5161 Cypress Semiconductor USB to Serial

The problem is that all UPSes are connected to the same bus and I cannot
change this, because ESXi gives you only one virtual USB controller.
Unluckily, "serial" field is empty so I cannot use this to detect single UPS.
This is my current configuration, but of course only one UPS is detected and
running.

[sweex1]
   driver = blazer_usb
   port = auto
   runtimecal = 1100,100,2200,50
   bus = 002

[sweex2]
   driver = blazer_usb
   port = auto
   runtimecal = 1100,100,2200,50
   bus = 002

[sweex3]
   driver = blazer_usb
   port = auto
   runtimecal = 1100,100,2200,50
   bus = 002

It would be great if I could specify Device #id (taken from lsusb) in
ups.conf file for each UPS. This way I can identify precisely one UPS in
every case.

Does someone have any hints with my problem?

Thanks in advance.

regards
Marcello