[Nut-upsuser] puzzle, need magic incantation (man pages)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 01:43:37 UTC 2014

On Dec 1, 2014, at 9:43 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> FWIW, before I asked, I redid the nut ./configure --with-doc=auto, then a
> make.  Then I step into the docs directory and do a sudo make install,
> which it appears to do.  But no manpages were install despite the command
> line echo showing that they were when I did the sudo make install, but I
> am forced to go into the docs directory and a man ./name-of-man-page to
> read it, and mode is only mentioned briefly in the example line which
> shows mode=none. That is a 10-33 torr suckage.

I think that other link I sent to the sample nut.conf has all of the possible values there - not sure what happened to those comments in your original file.

> This I think can be alleviated by setting up the env variable MANPATH,
> which is not apparently configured.  Export that and it works.  So put it
> in my .bashrc
>
> But since every other manpage on the system works without that env setting
> of $MANPATH, showing "/usr/local/ups/share/man:/usr/share/man" when
> queried now, why should i have to do it for nuts man pages?  Boggles the
> mind.

If you run "./configure" without passing, say,  "--prefix=/usr/local", it will default to "--prefix=/usr/local/ups" which has the advantage of putting everything in one directory. To clean up, you just delete /usr/local/ups. Cleaning up after a botched install to /usr/local is painful, either involving backups, or surgically removing files from bin/, sbin/, etc/, man/man?/, etc.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail