[Nut-upsuser] puzzle, need magic incantation (nut.conf)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Dec 2 05:07:13 UTC 2014

On Monday 01 December 2014 20:35:15 Charles Lepple did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Dec 1, 2014, at 9:43 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Hi Charles;
> >
> > I had nut working from before, but managed to lock up something and
> > had to reboot.  Nut is in the stuff to start at boot time, but is
> > not now capable to being restarted with the nut script in
> > /etc/init.d, claiming it is disabled:
> >
> > gene at coyote:/usr/src/nut-2.7.2/docs/man$ sudo service nut start
> > * nut disabled, please adjust the configuration to your needs
> > * Then set MODE to a suitable value in
> > /usr/local/ups/etc/nut/nut.conf to enable it
> > gene at coyote:/usr/src/nut-2.7.2/docs/man$ service nut start
> > * nut disabled, please adjust the configuration to your needs
> > * Then set MODE to a suitable value in
> > /usr/local/ups/etc/nut/nut.conf to enable it
> >
> > So I look at that file and see it has only one active line:
> > mode=standalone
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> Is the "MODE" token capitalized?

Yes.  The one in /usr/local/ups/etc is the only one it can find

Copy/paste:

MODE=standalone

Aha!  The paths in the /etc/init.d/nut script were wrong.  Fixed that up
and a sudo service nut restart seems to have fired it right up.  Except
that /usr/local/ups/bin/upsc myups is connection refused.  And it is not
visible in htop.

Next?

Thank you Charles

> (The nut.conf file is included in the startup shell script, which is
> case-sensitive.)
>
> Here is the original nut.conf with its comments:
>
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/587d5f828c03d961f0cbeb11c6a
> 19a7944ec6ccd/conf/nut.conf.sample

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)