[Nut-upsuser] Add general UPS SNMP agent as a nut client

alf at i100.no alf at i100.no
Sun Feb 16 07:31:59 UTC 2014

Hi

One idea I've had for some time, but unfortunately not had time to
implement, is to add a general SNMP agent, which will work with all UPSes
supported by nut.
The idea is to have the SNMP agent use the "nut API" to fetch
values from the UPS.
So the SNMP agent will be similar to the "upsc" utility.

Whenever the SNMP agent is queried for information, it will use the nut
API to get hold of the data.
We will just need to take for example the Eaton MIB file, and map each
SNMP OID to the corresponding value as exposed by "upsc".

The background for wanting this, is that I am using a
Eaton ConnectUPS-BD WEB/SNMP card, and exposing the data as SNMP, and
using OpenNms, I "out of the box" get nice graphing of voltage
levels and power usage.
I really like that functionality and graphing.
The setup is working fine by me, but by implementing such a SNMP agent,
every user of nut could get the same functionality, and would not be
requiring special hardware for doing so.
OpenNms can easliy generate graphs etc based on the SNMP MIB file that is
part of nut for Eaton UPSes. I think Cacti and other such tools should
also be easy to set up.

I've written a bit about my setup here :
http://www.kanonbra.com/index.php/projects/snmpnms/27-monitoring-eaton-9130-ups-in-opennms

The question is really if other people would also like to have SNMP
"monitoring" support for their UPSes ?
Adding support for SNMP traps might be harder, but I noticed some email
one the mailing list today that there is already ideas for adding SNMP
traps generally.

Regards
Alf Høgemark