[Nut-upsuser] Power race? with Eaton 5E and how to auto-mute beeper

Leith Bade leith at leithalweapon.geek.nz
Sat Jul 26 13:58:26 UTC 2014

I have a brand new Eaton 5E UPS purchased in Australia.

Details:
Eaton 5E
Model: 5E650iUSB-AU
Date: best I can find is the shipping date to supplier on box label - May
2014

OS:
Ubuntu 14.04 Server edition
Nut 2.7.1
Installed via apt-get install nut

I have two problems I would like to fix.

First the beeper is annoying and loud and I worry it will wake everyone up
at night. I read that you can mute the beeper temporarily (and this works)
but that most UPSs do not allow you to permanently turn it off (I tried
using upsrw but it said beeper.status was read only).

So is there a way to auto-mute the beeper? e.g on system boot or on power
failure?

Next I did some testing and I think I have a power race (is that the right
term?). Basically if I switch off the AC, wait for battery to drain and the
system to shutdown and turn off (the PC only so far). If I then turn the AC
back on before the ~20 sec delay before the UPS turns off and on again the
computer never boots automatically (I have set BIOS to power on after AC
back).

If I let the UPS turn off before I turn AC back on the computer will boot
automatically.

I think the problem is that either the UPS is now power cycling the load
when AC is on and it reboots, or it is not turning it off for long enough
for the PSU/computer to register this as a AC off and on event. When the
UPS reboots it beeps and I can hear a relay click so it must do something
when it reboots with power on.

How can I add a delay between UPS power off, and power on?

Here is output of upsc in case it helps:
leith at server:~$ upsc eaton
Init SSL without certificate database
battery.charge: 35
battery.runtime: 1076