[Nut-upsuser] blazer_ser battery.high / battery.low

Andreas Lausch / TBT andreas.lausch at tbt.at
Tue Jun 3 13:42:32 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-03 00:58, Charles Lepple wrote:

>> I'm pretty sure I wouldn't rely on a charge percentage derived this way ;-)

It's nice to see how much time one has left, event if it's not perfectly
accurate.

>> As mentioned in the other thread about the tripplite_usb driver, apart from having two sets of calibration constants, one for OL and one for OB, there is no good way to have a one-size-fits-all calibration.
>>
>> My answer was based on the documentation, but you could make a case for the on-battery voltage.

I'm not sure what voltage is shown when plugged into mains. I guess it's
not the actual battery voltage (one would measure when disconnecting the
battery), but the charging voltage, which has nothing to do with the
actual charge.

> A little more explanation under the "Battery Charge" heading:
>
> "If you specify both battery.voltage.high and battery.voltage.low in ups.conf(5), but don’t enter runtimecal, it will guesstimate the state of charge by looking at the battery voltage alone. This is not reliable under load..."
>
> Does your UPS report load? If so, there is the "runtimecal" option.
>
> http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/blazer.html#_battery_charge

Yes, and it is set-up correctly. The time displayed is not far away from
reality -- tested during a thunderstorm :-)

> We should probably look into ways to make it easier to build custom .deb files for Ubuntu.

Making a .deb can be automated; adding a ppa is possible and easy (if
one would maintain such a ppa), I don't see the problem there. But It
makes no sense to swap a tested, stable repository (ubuntu security
updates) for a "rolling" repository if there is no real gain.

Anyway, patching a model-specific system + different OB / OL
calculations into _qx, changing almost every aspect of it, does not
sound like a job for me :D
If maybe, someday, the driver's author(s) decide to do that, I'd be
happy to test it.

Andreas