[Nut-upsuser] I can't make changes to ups.delay.shutdown to stick

Mick michaelkintzios at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 05:20:51 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 04 Jun 2014 03:07:27 Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2014, at 1:28 AM, Mick wrote:

> >> Mick, hold that thought.
> >>
> >>  1.006824	Path: UPS.PowerSummary.DelayBeforeShutdown, Type: Feature,
> >>
> >> ReportID: 0x0f, Offset: 0, Size: 24, Value: 60
> >>
> >>  1.010820	Path: UPS.PowerSummary.DelayBeforeStartup, Type: Feature,
> >>
> >> ReportID: 0x11, Offset: 0, Size: 24, Value: 0
> >>
> >> Arnaud, is HU_FLAG_ABSENT the right flag here? That seems to indicate
> >> that the variable is not actually implemented on the UPS:
> >>
> >> drivers/idowell-hid.c:99:
> >>        { "ups.delay.start", ST_FLAG_RW | ST_FLAG_STRING, 10,
> >>
> >> "UPS.PowerSummary.DelayBeforeStartup", NULL, DEFAULT_ONDELAY,
> >> HU_FLAG_ABSENT, NULL}, { "ups.delay.shutdown", ST_FLAG_RW |
> >> ST_FLAG_STRING, 10, "UPS.PowerSummary.DelayBeforeShutdown", NULL,
> >> DEFAULT_OFFDELAY, HU_FLAG_ABSENT, NULL},
> >>
> >> It is not clear how this value is being used.
> >
> > Was there ever a conclusion to this thread?  I didn't get any other
> > messages.
>
> I asked Arnaud about this off-list, and didn't get a complete reply. He
> said the code looked right. Not sure if I understand this part of the
> usbhid-ups code yet, but I'll give it a shot.
>
> Some of the variables (those with HU_FLAG_ABSENT) are apparently not stored
> on the UPS itself-- they are sent to the UPS when the shutdown command is
> executed. Sending the value starts the timer, in some cases, but I think
> the ups.delay.start value should be safe to send at the time when it is
> set.

I see.  So if for some reason I wanted to change ups.delay.shutdown on a more
permanent basis and the UPS won't store the changed setting, I would need to
run a script on the server to submit the changed value to the UPS each time
the server boots up.

> You mentioned at the time that you couldn't test the shutdown sequence.
> Next maintenance window, can you shut down via NUT (e.g. "upsmon -c fsd"),
> and see if your UPS uses that delay value? (Same sort of logs as before,
> in case there is a problem.)
>
> I'll admit I haven't tweaked these values on my PDC HID UPS-- the default
> percentage-based thresholds were sufficient. Unfortunately, that UPS has a
> fried charger circuit, so I can't test that now.

No problem - thanks for getting back to me!

I hope to test it sometime within a month or so and see what it does.

--
Regards,
Mick