[Nut-upsuser] New Tripplite UPS: INTERNET350U

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 14:19:14 UTC 2014

On Jun 14, 2014, at 8:06 PM, Bossard wrote:

> Hello Charles,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion, however it didn't help.  I was running it as root but I went ahead and added the -u root anyways.

The way to think about the "-u root" flag is "stay running as root". When started as root, NUT runs the drivers under an unprivileged system user ID (usually "nut", unless the "-u" flag is passed).

Unfortunately, if "-u root" did not make a difference, then the udev rules aren't going to help, either (they set up the permissions for the unprivileged "nut" user). Can you post the exact output of "usbhid-ups -u root -x productid=2010 -DD -a <UPS-name>"?

>  Nothing changed.  So part or all the problem is that I don't have the "libhidups or libhid.usermap" files that the man page talks about:
>
> You also need to install manually the legacy hotplug files (libhidups and libhid.usermap, generally in /etc/hotplug/usb/), or the udev file (nut-usbups.rules, generally in /etc/udev/rules.d/) to address the permission settings problem. For more information, refer to the README file in nut/scripts/hotplug or nut/scripts/udev.
>
> How can I get them and do I really need them?

udev replaced the functionality of hotplug (with different syntax), so if you are running udev, you don't need to worry about the hotplug files. Theoretically, the package for NUT should only include the relevant files for your distribution.

Since NUT 2.4.3 is getting a little old, I'm not entirely sure what Linux distribution you are running (and thus, whether we should be worrying about hotplug). Can you provide some more information on that? Distribution and version would be good; bonus points for versions of things like udev, libusb, the kernel, etc.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail