[Nut-upsuser] Question about recycle power of Tripp Lite UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 13:03:39 UTC 2014

[moving this to nut-upsuser, since other users of Tripp Lite equipment may have specific experience with this.]

On Jun 17, 2014, at 7:51 PM, Shen Chuan <shen at minutekey.com> wrote:

> We are trying to develop a mechanism to power cycle Tripp Lite UPS. When we checked the upscmd, looks like the only command we can use is shutdown.reboot(sudo upscmd -u user -p password ups shutdown.reboot). Because the PC is connected to UPS directly and we would prefer shutdown PC before power cycle the UPS. But if we run shutdown PC first it won't run the power cycle the UPS script any more. Wonder if there is a delaed power cycle command for Tripp Lite to give PC some time to shutdown itself? Attached the upscmd -l and upsc ups.
> ups.delay.shutdown: 90
> ups.timer.reboot: 65535
> ups.timer.shutdown: 65535

You should be able to set ups.delay.shutdown to the amount of time it takes the PC to shut down (plus a buffer), then send “shutdown.reboot” from the PC.

You can monitor the ups.timer.* variables after sending the shutdown command; they should count down.

There are some more details in the “Shutdown scripts” section of docs/config-notes.txt, or at http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/ar01s06.html#_shutdown_scripts

It also looks like your UPS has a watchdog. I haven’t tried this on the newer usbhid-ups models, but once you set the watchdog timer, the UPS will power-cycle the outlets if the driver does not communicate with the UPS in that timeout period.

I am not sure if the watchdog is enabled after the reboot - this is definitely one of those cases where you will want to experiment with a dummy load on the UPS (and with the PC powered from another outlet).

Does anyone else have any specific experience with these timers on a Tripp Lite UPS with usbhid-ups?

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail