[Nut-upsuser] Masterguard UPS A3000

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed May 28 03:43:20 UTC 2014

On May 26, 2014, at 11:42 PM, Adam Goryachev wrote:

> /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DDDD -a upsA -x vendorid=06da -x productid=0002

Try the nutdrv_qx driver? It should work without specifying the vendorid/productid.

(I can see where the Liebert USB VID might lead you to try usbhid-ups, but the stronger link is that the serial Phoenixtec protocol is usually stuffed into a HID-based USB-to-serial converter, which usbhid-ups doesn't support. And USB-to-serial-via-HID is a total abuse of the HID protocol, et cetera, but that's a rant for another day.)

I'm probably not the best person to comment on the second half of your question, at least as far as recommendations on splitting the load between the UPSes. I will say that I am wary of APC now that they have introduced their proprietary Microlink protocol, and have apparently stripped down the HID PDC support on the legacy comms card.

We should probably add this warning to the usbhid-ups man page as well:

http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/apcsmart.html#_supported_hardware

It's not just NUT - this affects Apcupsd:

http://forums.apc.com/thread/5374

Until recently, I would have recommended MGE/Eaton. They haven't made the same design mistakes as APC, but we can no longer expect the same amount of information and support that we had before.

Tripp Lite has tested many of their USB HID UPSes against NUT, and posted the results to the list last fall:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.monitoring.nut.user/8173

I haven't personally tried their recent hardware, but at the moment, this seems like the most promising avenue for vendor support.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail