[Nut-upsuser] Gentoo (was Re: Tripp Lite SMART3000RM2U (protocol 3003) running time and charge?)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed May 28 12:50:45 UTC 2014

On May 24, 2014, at 5:49 PM, Stefan Bruda wrote:

>>> In case it matters by the way this is all happening on a box running
>>> kernel version 3.12.13 with Gentoo patches.  The NUT I am playing with
>>> is the stock Gentoo unstable variety, meaning version 2.7.1 with some
>>> Gentoo patching on top.
>>
>> Thanks, that is a useful data point. Does Gentoo have an easy way
>> (short of installing the whole OS) to see what those patches are?
>
> Sure.  Gentoo is a port-based, source distribution, so the patches are
> in the local Portage tree (code word for the collection of ports, or
> ebuilds as they are actually called in Gentoo;-) ).  I am attaching
> the complete ebuild to this message (I am sure that the files are also
> available somewhere on the Web but I never looked since I already have
> them locally so I don't know where).  Note that I renamed the
> directory from nut to nut-gentoo to eliminate any possible confusion.

Seems like the source is here:

http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-power/nut

http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-power/nut/files/

> I am using nut-2.7.1.ebuild (latest available).  Most of the content
> is irrelevant to you -- in fact I believe that the only useful
> information would be the Gentoo patches which for 2.7.1 appear to be:
>
>    files/nut-2.4.1-no-libdummy.patch
>    files/nut-2.6.2-lowspeed-buffer-size.patch
>    files/nut-2.7.1-fix-scanning.patch
>    files/nut-2.7.1-snmpusb-order.patch
>
> (they are all applied to 2.7.1 despite their names).

I will have to look at those patches later. In particular, the lowspeed-buffer-size.patch seems redundant, since the link points to a commit in our old SVN archive.

>> Gentoo would be a good addition to the NUT Buildbot, but the build
>> farm hardware is somewhat memory-constrained at the moment.
>
> No worries, there is nothing to build for Gentoo...

The goal of our Buildbot implementation wasn't so much to provide pre-built binaries (although it certainly could). It's more of an early-warning system in case we have old code that doesn't build properly on a particular distribution.

> In any event, thank you very much for the assistance.  The current
> incarnation of nut works substantially better on my system.  I would
> also be more than happy to help in the future so drop me a line as
> needed.

I will let you know when I get a chance to finish the V_interval variables.

> [ATTACHMENT ~/nut-gentoo.tar, application/x-tar]

compressed and attached below.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail