[Nut-upsuser] Emerson/Liebert GXT3

Marcelo Fernandez marcelo.fidel.fernandez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 22:56:20 UTC 2014

> On Oct 29, 2014, at 5:08 PM, Marcelo Fernandez <marcelo.fidel.fernandez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've bought a Liebert GXT3 UPS and I'm trying to use it with nut. I'm
>> using Ubuntu 14.04, but I'm having troubles (similar to this thread
>> [1]) using the standard "nut" package from the Ubuntu repositories.
>>
>> After some more searching, I've found this very recent thread in this
>> list ("Return on experience with an Emerson/Liebert GXT3" [2]), and
>> from my humble understanding, you finally pushed some upstream changes
>> in the end which should made this UPS to work.
>
> At the time you read that thread, the changes were still in a branch (there was still some cleanup to do). I just merged it to master.
>
>> I'm a newbie using nut, but not so cloning a repository and compiling
>> software. Is there something that I have to take into account to make
>> this UPS to work from upstream?
>
> There is a good bit of integration with the startup/shutdown sequence in the Debian/Ubuntu packages of NUT, so since you only need the newer driver, I would do one of the following:
>
> 1) configure NUT with the same --prefix and other paths that Ubuntu uses. You can use --with-drivers=usbhid-ups to avoid compiling all of the other drivers you don't need (and if you do need them, the ones from the 2.7.2 .debs should be new enough)
>
> 2) download the debian/ directory from NUT 2.7.2, and update it for a 2.7.2.5 snapshot. You may want to run "apt-get build-dep nut" (or similar) first.
>
> In the first case, you will want to keep an eye out for updates - if there were a security update to 2.7.2, it would overwrite your driver, and you would need to re-run 'make install'.
>
> The snapshots have slightly fewer dependencies (autotools, mostly) than building straight from Git. They are generated automatically on each Git push, and are available from the [tarball] links here: http://buildbot.networkupstools.org/snapshots
>
>> After building and installing into /usr/local [3], should I edit
>> /etc/nut/ups.conf like this:
>>
>> user=nut
>> [liebert]
>>        driver=usbhid-ups
>>        port=/dev/usb/hiddev0
>>        productid=0008
>
> If you configure using "--with-user=nut", it will match the Ubuntu package, and you can simplify the configuration:
>
> [liebert]
>         driver=usbhid-ups
>         port = auto # (can be any string; driver matches based on USB VID:PID)
>
> No productid is needed with the merged code.

Hello Charles and everyone,

Well, because of different issues, I've finally compiled everything
from source inside a new and clean VM (without installing nut from
repositories); I've read and learned a little from every component of
the suite.

The good news is, that starting from 2.7.2.5-snapshot version,
Emerson/Liebert GXT3 UPS works fine:

root at nut:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./upsc liebert
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 20
battery.charge.warning: 0
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 10000000.
battery.voltage.nominal: 0.0
device.mfr: Belkin
device.model: Liebert GXT3
device.serial: 1226603098AF453
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.version: 2.7.2.5
driver.version.data: Belkin/Liebert HID 0.17
driver.version.internal: 0.38
ups.mfr: Belkin
ups.model: Liebert GXT3
ups.productid: 0008
ups.serial: 1226603098AF453
ups.status: OL CHRG
ups.vendorid: 10af

It's a pity that it gives me this information only, but I guess that
it's all we can get from software.

I've connected an additional battery pack, but I don't get any status
from it (even using the "official" Emerson software tools). I tought
I'd get something like "battery.packs: 001", and the individual charge
from every battery (the included in the UPS and the additional one),
but no way. :-/

Thank you all. If there's anything you want me to test, I'll be around.

Regards
--
Marcelo F. Fernández
Buenos Aires, Argentina