[Nut-upsuser] Return on experience with an Emerson/Liebert GXT3

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 12:39:20 UTC 2014

On Oct 1, 2014, at 9:03 PM, paul.chavent at fnac.net wrote:

>> It should run as user "nut" in Debian. You may want to reinstall the nut-server package, and check the post-inst error messages to make sure that the "nut" user is created, and that it is in the "nut" group as well.
>
> The user nut and the group nut have been created..

Ah, right, because you are using the Debian upsdrvctl with a hand-compiled driver. I would recommend copying the whole Debian ./configure line, including the part that sets the default user and group to "nut".

>> Not sure that is where the "user" declaration is being parsed. upsdrvctl just passes arguments to the drivers via the command line (including "-u", although that is not read from the configuration file, but from upsdrvctl's command line).
>
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/drivers/upsdrvctl.c#L60
>
> I'm quite sure that it is the place where the config file is parsed...

What I should have said is that upsdrvctl is not where the "user = " is being interpreted (although you are correct, it is parsed and ignored). I was thinking of this line in the driver core:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/drivers/main.c#L295

Since we don't ship that init file in the generic NUT source package anymore, that will need to be discussed with the Debian maintainers - probably at http://bugs.debian.org

--
Charles Lepple