[Nut-upsuser] Belkin unk ups

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Oct 14 13:07:36 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 14 October 2014 08:19:02 Charles Lepple did opine
And Gene did reply:
> usbhid-ups

Added that, but only get this at "sudo service nut start"
gene at coyote:/etc/init.d$ sudo service nut start
 * Starting Network UPS Tools
[ OK ]

Broadcast Message from nut at coyote
        (somewhere) at 8:37 ...

Communications with UPS myups at coyote.coyote.den lost

Broadcast Message from nut at coyote
        (somewhere) at 8:37 ...

UPS myups at coyote.coyote.den is unavailable

service nut stop
 * Stopping Network UPS Tools

I haven't checked cabling, but AFAIK its still plugged in, but not sure if
its usb or serial cabling.  I'll check that once I get both eyes open
simultaneously and report back.

Found the cable, a D type usb, unplugged it and replugged it, and it
appears now to be /dev/usb/hiddev3.  dmesg, ever so helpful, and lsusb
equally helpful, do not tell what the /dev/usbdevice is assigned to the
newly discovered plugin. dmesg just reports:

[136319.530160] usb 1-10: USB disconnect, device number 2
[136322.641716] usb 1-10: new low-speed USB device number 3 using ohci-pci
[136322.929480] usb 1-10: New USB device found, idVendor=050d,
idProduct=0751
[136322.929486] usb 1-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=4, Product=20,
SerialNumber=0
[136322.929489] usb 1-10: Product: Belkin UPS
[136322.929491] usb 1-10: Manufacturer: Belkin
[136323.695058] hid-generic 0003:050D:0751.0008: hiddev0,hidraw6: USB HID
v1.11 Device [Belkin  Belkin UPS] on usb-0000:00:02.0-10/input0

So is this usb-0000:00:02.0-10/input0 a valid way to give nut a path to
it, and if so, what file do I add that too?

I also note that in the original bootup discovery it was hiddev0/hidraw6,
the same as the latest plug in report, so that also appears stable.

But ls -l /dev/usb:
crw-rw---- 1 root root 180, 0 2014-10-12 18:51 hiddev0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 180, 1 2014-10-12 18:51 hiddev1
crw-rw---- 1 root root 180, 2 2014-10-12 18:51 hiddev2
crw-rw---- 1 root root 180, 3 2014-10-14 08:44 hiddev3
crw-rw---- 1 root lp   180, 4 2014-10-13 05:50 lp4
crw-rw---- 1 root lp   180, 5 2014-10-13 05:50 lp5

shows that hiddev3 is the one created by my cable unplug/replug.
Call me confused at best.

Guidance needed yet, obviously.  I've had several birthdays since we last
conversed, so I am now 80yo, and definitely seeing the effects of poorer
short term memory.  Darnit...

Thanks Charles

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)