[Nut-upsuser] Tripp-Lite USB constantlly disconnecting.

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 02:26:00 UTC 2014

On Sep 29, 2014, at 12:50 PM, Shade Alabsa <shade34321 at gmail.com> wrote:

>    The lsusb command did not trigger a disconnect. The output of that
> command is below.

If you run lsusb several times, does it still work? The exact output of lsusb isn't as important as whether anything gets logged by the kernel. Running lsusb shouldn't cause any extra kernel messages such as the disconnection/reconnection messages shown here:

Sep 23 17:05:47 nemo kernel: usb 7-1: USB disconnect, device number 63
Sep 23 17:05:47 nemo kernel: usb 7-1: new low speed USB device number 64 using uhci_hcd
Sep 23 17:05:47 nemo kernel: usb 7-1: New USB device found, idVendor=09ae, idProduct=3015

> I ran "usbhid-ups -a upsunit -DDD &> output.log" and
> I have attached the /var/log/messages and output.log to this email.
> Before running this test though I did clear out the messages so there
> isn't a whole lot there. I also contacted Tripp-Lite today and they
> are also looking into this.

The part that really confuses me is this:

Sep 23 17:06:05 nemo kernel: usb 7-1: usbfs: process 2291 (usbhid-ups) did not claim interface 0 before use
Sep 23 17:06:05 nemo kernel: usb 7-1: usbfs: process 2291 (usbhid-ups) did not claim interface 0 before use

This doesn't seem to match the source code, which tries to claim the interface up to three times, and if it doesn't work, it exits with a fatal error. Your logs show the same PID for usbhid-ups, so it apparently didn't exit. I am wondering if I am looking at the same code as what is built on your system. Do you have the exact version for the RPM files, or better yet, the corresponding SRPMs?

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail