[Nut-upsuser] NUT and non-APCC UPSs doing calibration runs

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 02:48:18 UTC 2015

On Apr 8, 2015, at 11:16 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:

> I'm looking to buy some new UPSs and am thinking of parting ways with APC to explore other brands.
>
> Can anyone suggest another brand that handles doing calibration runs (or maybe another brand doesn't need them) that I can automate with NUT?

As a starting point, you might want to search the NUT Device Dump Library (DDL) for 'test.battery' and 'test.interval': https://github.com/networkupstools/nut-ddl (GitHub's search works, or you can clone the repository and use 'git grep' locally for a more concise listing.)

Not all entries in the DDL have the commands listed, unfortunately, so absence of a test command does not guarantee that it is not supported.

I would argue that any UPS with a lead-acid battery needs to perform some sort of calibration to properly report a) runtime to empty and b) when the battery needs replacement. Whether or not the UPS does that calibration automatically (or manually, or both) is a different story.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail