[Nut-upsuser] Cannot access Patriot Pro II from new system

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Wed Dec 2 18:49:11 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015, Olav Seyfarth wrote:

> I'd ideally set it to "shut down when only 20% battery left" (which
> should give at least five minutes power left, shutdown takes far less
> than one minute). BUT:

>> # upsc eaton at localhost
>> battery.charge: 89
>> *battery.charge.low: 20*
> ... but mine does not:

> Could someone please point me to where (or what for) to look to
> configure that? Or is it not necessary? Or is my UPS not capable of
> triggering based on power left and I must use a time based setup (sleep
> in notifycmd) shown in this
> [https://srackham.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/configuring-nut-for-the-eaton-3s-ups-on-ubuntu-linux/]
> article? Or should I really have a script as complicated as in this
> [http://rogerprice.org/NUT.html] article? I really wan to keep things as
> simple as possible...

Hi, The UPS doesn't report its battery charge, but since the DB-9 pinouts
described in the User Guide, page 11 include a "Low Battery Alarm" you may
be able to get enough from this to avoid a timer-based shutdown.

You will probably need to do some experiments (without risking your
server) to see what signals are received from the battery as it runs down
to empty. For that you will need a suitable upsmon.conf with at least a
  NOTIFYFLAG LOWBATT SYSLOG+WALL
  NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT SYSLOG+WALL
  NOTIFYFLAG ONLINE SYSLOG+WALL

Roger