[Nut-upsuser] About your driver NUTDRV_ATCL_USB(8) for install

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 03:18:45 UTC 2015

On Feb 9, 2015, at 2:07 PM, pererivers at yahoo.es wrote:

> Dear Chales,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.
> I have Raspberry with last Kernel [Linux pi1 3.18.6+ #753 PREEMPT Sun Feb 8
> 14:47:22 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux]
> without any error as "Device or resource busy".
> If I run <upsc> command never receive any value from my ups     <upsc
> ups at localhost>  then I can't test shutdown ups.

I am not sure what you mean.

There should be one copy of upsd, one copy of nutdrv_atcl_usb, and if you are using upsmon, two copies of that (one running as root, and an unprivileged one talking to upsd).

The "Device or resource busy" error can occur if you have more than one copy of nutdrv_atcl_usb, or if another program besides NUT is trying to control the UPS.

upsc requires upsd and the driver (nutdrv_atcl_usb) to be running. If upsd is not running, upsc will get "Connection refused".

> When I run <upsd>  with debugin level I view change of my UPS VALUES (OL) to
> (OB) when I cut its power.
> When I run <upsmon>  each 5 minuts I received "NOTIFYFLAG NOCOMM" in monitor
> and by email but never receive other notify.

upsmon also requires upsd and the driver. NOCOMM means no communication between upsmon and the UPS (via upsd). This is expected.

> Broadcast Message from root at pi1
>
>        (somewhere) at 19:58 ...
> UPS myups at 192.168.1.7 is unavailable
>

> My  <Upsmon.conf>  is:
>
> NOTIFYCMD /usr/local/ups/bin/nut-notify  <---- script file to send me email.
> MINSUPPLIES 1
> SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h +0"
> NOTIFYFLAG ONLINE SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> NOTIFYFLAG LOWBATT SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> NOTIFYFLAG COMMOK SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> NOTIFYFLAG COMMBAD SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> NOTIFYFLAG SHUTDOWN SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> NOTIFYFLAG REPLBATT SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> NOTIFYFLAG NOCOMM SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> NOTIFYFLAG FSD SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
> MONITOR myups at 192.168.1.7 1 monuser root master
>
> Upsd.users
> [monuser]
>  password = root
>  upsmon master
>
> upsd.conf
> LISTEN 192.168.1.7 3493   <--- if i put LISTEN 127.0.0.1 don't work/ and
> with localhost don't work.
>

> Are nutdrv_atcl_usb driver experimental driver with limitations about send
> ONBATT,ONLINE, etc...?

Yes, as mentioned in the startup banner:

"Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly."

It worked for Ariel, who provided the initial protocol traces: http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=52B4C54E.1050106@ariwainer.com.ar

but there is certainly the possibility that other UPSes with that ID string are different. Dan also wrote a driver which talks to "ATCL FOR USB" devices, but with a different protocol:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.monitoring.nut.user/8808/focus=8839

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail