[Nut-upsuser] Install problems (group permissions) with nut 2.7.2

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 03:08:39 UTC 2015

On Feb 19, 2015, at 8:43 AM, Rob Groner <rgroner at RTD.com> wrote:

> I looked at the file and saw how it was laid out...basically an ATTR for every known USB UPS.  Well, since mine is not a known UPS, I had to add my own entry.

If you want, once things are working, we can add an entry to that table (via drivers/usbhid-ups.c, which gets parsed into the udev script)

>  So I added a similar entry to all the others, but putting in my USB vendor and product IDs and setting GROUP="nut" (like all the other entries do).
>
> ATTR{idVendor}=="04d8", ATTR{idProduct}=="005c", MODE="664", GROUP="nut"

You might need to tell udev to reload, although newer versions seem to re-read the rules files automatically.

Also, I think there is a debug mode for udev that will show what is being parsed when.

> But so far as I can tell, when I plug in the USB cable from the UPS...it is still not setting it to nut group permissions.  I am looking at the file in /dev/usb/hid/hiddev0 (which goes away when I unplug the UPS).  Either way, upsdrvctrl still won't start unless I add "-u root".

/dev/bus/usb/*/* is the place to look (the hiddev* nodes are not used by libusb). Once the permissions there look correct, can you post the output of running the driver directly with -D?