[Nut-upsuser] Install problems (group permissions) with nut 2.7.2

Rob Groner rgroner at RTD.com
Fri Feb 20 20:15:51 UTC 2015

I think I had a misconception about something..

My goal was that someone could use our UPS with the "default" UPS driver in NUT right out of the box, so they wouldn't have to alter any NUT code to get it working.  NUT config files, yes, but not NUT code.

I thought that if I put in the ups.conf file that I wanted to use the usbhid-ups driver, and then put our vendor and product ID, it would find whatever USB device matched those vid and pid, and then use the usbhid-ups driver with it.

Instead, it seems that the usbhid-ups driver will search through its own list of known devices with vid/pid, and won't "match" my device unless that device exists as an entry in its device table.  Is that correct?

In other words, instead of the ups.conf file saying "Use usbhid-ups with USB device of vid/pid", it is saying "Use usbhid-ups with USB device of vid/pid *if* they are in the list of devices for usbhid-ups"?

Sincerely,
Rob Groner