[Nut-upsuser] Install problems (group permissions) with nut 2.7.2

Rob Groner rgroner at RTD.com
Wed Feb 25 16:35:03 UTC 2015

Ok, so please correct me if I’m wrong….

The quickest way to get my UPS running with nut (as the current release exists) is to either:

1)      Add my vendor and device ID to the openups_usb_device_table  OR

2)      Create my own driver file, and then add that driver to the usbhid-ups subdriver_list

And then recompile/install.

Obviously #1 will be easier at this point, but I understand that it will only get me the functionality that currently exists in the openups driver (which is ok, I structured my USB reports around what that driver makes available).  If I want full functionality I’ll need to eventually make my own driver file.

Sincerely,
Rob Groner

From: Charles Lepple [mailto:clepple at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2015 7:50 PM
To: Rob Groner
Cc: nut-upsuser List
Subject: Re: [Nut-upsuser] Install problems (group permissions) with nut 2.7.2

On Feb 20, 2015, at 3:15 PM, Rob Groner <rgroner at RTD.com<mailto:rgroner at RTD.com>> wrote:

Instead, it seems that the usbhid-ups driver will search through its own list of known devices with vid/pid, and won't "match" my device unless that device exists as an entry in its device table.  Is that correct?

More or less, yes.

It turns out that UPS vendors all have somewhat different interpretations of the PDC spec.

There was an idea to create a generic fallback driver that could talk to any USB HID PDC device:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/112

But at the moment, when we suggest passing the 'productid = ' parameter to usbhid-ups, it is because there is already a set of tables for that vendor, and their model is not all that different from earlier models.

The nutdrv_qx driver might be more flexible in this regard, since we tend to see different VID:PID combinations for devices that all speak one of several easily identifiable dialects of the Megatec Q* protocols.

- Charles Lepple