[Nut-upsuser] Data stale error after short while

Mike Raath raathm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 18:07:11 UTC 2015

A couple of years ago, Arnaud helped me get my Apollo Line Interactive UPS
working, using the blazer_usb driver.

Now I've run into another problem, having rebuilt my HP Proliant
Microserver into an ESXi 5.5 managed hypervisor with various VMs. One of
the VMs is a FreeNAS server which manages the storage for the other VMs so
graceful shutdowns are important.

I built a single VM to monitor the UPS (Ubuntu Server 14.04 i386) and
installed NUT on the box from the apt packages. I set it up as per the
previous box with the blazer_usb driver and all goes well, for a while.
Initially, the UPS reports correctly via upsc, but after a while I get the
"Data stale" error, and the box is no longer recognised.

A stop and start of upsdrvctl gives the following:

$ sudo upsdrvctl -D start

Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.1

   0.000000 Starting UPS: apollo-ups

Network UPS Tools - Megatec/Q1 protocol USB driver 0.10 (2.7.1)

No supported UPS detected

  15.242656 Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

But lsusb reports that the device is still there. And an accidental
upsdrvctl shutdown successfully powered down the UPS. Also, physically
unplugging the UPS cable and re-inserting it forces it to work again, but
again after a few minutes I get the "Data stale" again and the UPS status
can no longer be interrogated.

Once again, any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike