[Nut-upsuser] Data stale error after short while

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 20:52:11 UTC 2015

On Jan 2, 2015, at 3:33 PM, Mike Raath <raathm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I messed up my reply a bit.
>
> The output of the lsusb command is the same before and after the data goes stale.
>
> $ lsusb -d 0665:
> Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0665:5161 Cypress Semiconductor USB to Serial

OK. That usually means that the VM kernel doesn't see that the device is disconnecting. You can check dmesg to be sure, but the Device numbers usually increment the next time a USB device is plugged in.

Not sure how ESXi hands off the USB devices to the VMs, but is there a way to verify that other VMs are not seeing the UPS as well? Even simply probing the device (a la modemtools) will cause problems, especially if the USB-to-serial converter usually shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0 before NUT drivers start.

> And the output of the /lib/nut/nutdrv_qx -a apollo-ups -DD 2>&1 command is the same as in the previous attachment. I truncated the "before" log because it just carried on with the same output after the broadcast notification that the UPS became unavailable (at 214.883342).

Hmm, that's odd.

I forgot to mention: be sure that there are no existing drivers running ('sudo killall blazer_usb' and 'sudo killall nutdrv_qx') before starting the driver in debug mode.

Can you run it again with three "-D" flags, and let it go past the point where upsd complains? The third "-D" will show all read and write results, which should definitely be different when problems arise.

> On 2 January 2015 at 22:14, Mike Raath <raathm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok - before stale data:
>
> After stale data:
> $ lsusb -d 0665:
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0665:5161 Cypress Semiconductor USB to Serial
>

> After stale data:
>

> And the gzipped log attached:
>

> On 2 January 2015 at 21:56, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2015, at 2:43 PM, Mike Raath <raathm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure what other logs I can provide to try to troubleshoot this?
>>

> Two things:
>
> - the output of 'lsusb -d 0665:' before and after the 'stale data' warning
> - the output of '/lib/nut/nutdrv_qx -a apollo-ups -DD 2>&1 | tee /tmp/nutdrv_qx.log'
>
> (Please gzip nutdrv_qx.log before sending it, thanks.)
>
> --
> Charles Lepple
> clepple at gmail

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.