[Nut-upsuser] MACOSX-UPS Client/Server Communications Issues

AIYL adliyanes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 16:13:21 UTC 2015

To your comments:

1.- Can you try 'upsc ups at 10.0.2.151 <mailto:ups at 10.0.2.151>' from another system on the network?
I’ve just one computer in the network, it’s my home's network. However, I can do the following:
	a.- Turn-off the Macmini’s firewall. (Note: I’ve already added “upsd" to the OSX Firewall's exceptions, otherwise nothing works)
	b.- Test WinNut running in a Windows XP VM in Parallels, with its own IP address. (Already tested, it works with Firewall “on”)
	c.- Setup a FreeBSD VM in Parallels, with its own IP address, to run a NUT client. It’ll take some more time than a) and b).

2.- ReadyNAs and Synology connection issues.
You’re right, the messages are not coming directly from the NUT Server but the from the Nas’es NUT implementation. The NAS’es messages are inconsistent, at the same time, one screen reports "Server Connection OK" and another screen reports "No Server Connection" or "Server Connection with errors”. That is the reason that I presume a “partial” or incomplete communication between the client and the server.

My hypothesis is that the NAS’es NUT client is expecting to get some information from the NUT Server, that it’s not getting. The problem could be caused by the NAS'es NUT client and/or by the NUT UPS server running the MACOSX-UPS driver.

I’m expecting that the FreeBSD VM test will result in some information that will help understand the communications problem's origin, it’ll allow to:
	a.- Test a FreeBSD VM NUT client connection to the Macmini’s NUT Server. 'upsc ups at 10.0.2.151 <mailto:ups at 10.0.2.151>'
	b.- Test the NAS’es client connection to a FreeBSD VM NUT Server, having a "real" UPS device connected to the VM’s USB port.

Before contacting Synology and Netgear/Readynas, I’d prefer to make sure that the NUT UPS Server has been setup correctly and that the “experimental” MACOSX-UPS driver is equivalent to a standard “usb” driver in terms of server/client communications.

It’ll be a later matter, to workout some issues regarding the different (hardcoded) NAS’es NUT client configurations, like different ups name, same user name and different password. Those issues have not impaired the main function of shutting down the NAS’es and do not seem to cause the communications issue, because modifying the NUT server configuration to match the NAS’es particular configuration does not result in different messages shown in the NAS’es console.

A “upsd -DD” output makes me think that the UPS client “login" to the UPS server is not “necessary” for the client to shutdown, it seems that the client just needs to get “connected” to the server in order for the client to monitor the NUT UPS server’s “upsd”. Therefore, username and password matching doesn’t seem to be a “necessary” condition.
Regarding the ups name, I’m not sure if “ups name” matching is “necessary” or if just “ip address” matching is “enough” to establish the client/server communication, get "connected”.
The latter, “ip address” matching, would be the most convenient way for the server to grant communication to the client because it’s configurable in both NAS’es.

Due to the NAS’es hardcoded configurations and constant firmware updates, those configuration issues seem to be much more difficult and less effective to be handled on the NAS’es side, therefore working on the NUT UPS server side to handle those issues would be much more effective.

I expect to have the FreeBSD VM test’s results in a couple weeks.

Thank you.

Adolfo Yanes