[Nut-upsuser] MACOSX-UPS Client/Server Communications Issues

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 10:56:15 UTC 2015

> I’ve not been able to solve some issues regarding the communication between a NUT Server running the MACOSX-UPS driver and the NUT clients on networked NAS’es.
>
> NUT Software installed on a Macmini running OSX Yosemite has managed to shutdown the networked devices, a Readynas and a Synology NAS, being all devices powered by the same UPS.
>
> Network setup:
>
> Network UPS Management Software:
> NUT ver 2.7.3, installed via Fink Commander in Mac mini.
> Driver: MACOSX-UPS Ver 1.1
>
> Macmini running NUT Server connected via USB to the UPS:
> Model Name:	Mac mini mid 2011
> System Version:	OS X 10.10.4 (14E46)
>   Kernel Version:	Darwin 14.4.0
>
> UPS:
> APC Back-UPS 550 BE550G
>
> NAS #1:
> Model: Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v1 [X-RAID]
> Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043]
> Memory: 1024 MB [2.5-3-3-7]
>
> NAS #2:
> Model name: Synology DS211j
> DSM version: DSM 5.2-5592 Update 1
>
> NUT Terminal commands and output:
> A-Mac-mini:~ admmacmini$ sudo /sw/sbin/upsdrvctl start
> Password:
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.3
> Network UPS Tools - Mac OS X UPS meta-driver 1.1 (2.7.3)
> Warning: This is an experimental driver.
> Some features may not function correctly.
>
> kill: No such process
> A-Mac-mini:~ admmacmini$ sudo /sw/sbin/upsd
> Network UPS Tools upsd 2.7.3
> kill: No such process
> /sw/etc/nut/upsd.conf is world readable
> listening on 10.0.2.151 port 3493
> listening on 127.0.0.1 port 3493
> /sw/var/run/ups is world readable
> Connected to UPS [ups]: macosx-ups-ups
> /sw/etc/nut/upsd.users is world readable
> A-Mac-mini:~ admmacmini$ upsc ups

Can you try 'upsc ups at 10.0.2.151' from another system on the network? This will rule out any firewall issues on the Mac Mini.

> battery.charge: 42
> battery.runtime: 180
> battery.voltage: 13.010
> device.mfr: (unknown)
> device.model: Back-UPS ES 550 FW:843.K2 .D USB FW:K2
> device.type: ups
> driver.name: macosx-ups
> driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
> driver.parameter.port: auto
> driver.parameter.synchronous: no
> driver.version: 2.7.3
> driver.version.internal: 1.1
> ups.status: OL CHRG
> A-Mac-mini:~ admmacmini$
>

> Comments:
> 1.- The two NAS’es performed a shutdown after UPS power loss. Main objective accomplished.
>

> 2.- The Readynas acknowledges partial connection to the UPS server, the following messages can be read:
>
> a.- Frontview Health Report
> See fig ‘A"
>
> b.- Frontview Log
> See fig “B"

Not sure what you mean by "partial connection". The original screenshot in Fig. A said "Remote Error, Battery charge: 42%, 3 minutes / Out of Spec", and Fig B. said "UPS is on Battery Power / Communication with UPS OK". The text in Fig. A is not coming directly from NUT, so it is unclear what the issue is - you may want to check the Synology documentation, or ask their support group. (A battery.runtime value of 180 (3 minutes) seems short, but that's all I can think of.)

> 3.- The Synology inconsistently acknowledges connection to the UPS server , the following messages can be read:
>
> a.- Control Panel UPS setup menu
> See fig “C"

"Information: Cannot connect to the network UPS server"

See comments above regarding 'upsc'.

> b.- Logs Report
> See fig “D"

Those log messages are also not generated by NUT.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail