[Nut-upsuser] iMAC does not shutdown

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:45:56 UTC 2015

On Jun 3, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Simone Severini <severini.simone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody!
> It has been a journey but I almost manage to make my UPS properly communicate.
>
> This is the config:
>
> UPS Mecer/Mustek 2000 VA connected via USB with blazer_usb driver.
> MASTER Raspberry PI-1
> SLAVE Raspberry PI-2
> SLAVE iMac OSX 10.10.3
>
> I can get access to the UPS from any of the three devices successfully.
>
> Problems:
> 1. When I launch /usr/local/ups/sbin/upsmon -c fed for testing I see Rasp-2 Slave going down, Rasp-1 going down, iMac completely ignoring and not receiving any broadcast message on the terminal then brutally killed as the UPS auto shutdown.

If you search for 'upsmon' in /var/log/system.log on the iMac, does it appear to be logged in to upsd on the master?

My Mac has a local UPS, so I haven't looked into whether upsmon properly reconnects after sleep.

> 2. When I have done a live test, the Master Rasp never intercepted any FLAG from UPS and UPS just died but halting just RASP-1 properly (connected via cable). iMac ignored the whole procedure.

You didn't mention which version of NUT you are using, but for recent versions, both the blazer_usb and nutdrv_qx drivers can be configured to generate their own LB signal based on runtime or percent charge. See the documentation for 'ignorelb' in ups.conf.

> 3. Is there any way to intercept which type of flag message my UPS sends (log files) to upsmon?

If you run upsmon with '-DDD', it will log changes to stderr. Another '-D' should log each poll cycle regardless of whether status has changed.

Another option is to run upslog to see the rate of discharge when the UPS is on battery. If the charge is falling faster than you expect, the battery may be dead, or the UPS may need to be recalibrated. This may help with the previous question.

> 4. I need to halt manually a linux based NAS via SSH. What is the best way (upsched or a script that parses battery.charge and takes decision independently from NUT).

It depends what you want the trigger to be. You can use upssched to power down after a certain amount of time on battery, or when the low battery flag is sent. Either way, you will probably need to ensure that the UPS shuts off its outlets momentarily after the NAS has received the shutdown signal, especially when the power comes back before the UPS battery is depleted.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail