[Nut-upsuser] Install problems (group permissions) with nut 2.7.2

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 15:24:23 UTC 2015

On Feb 26, 2015, at 6:55 AM, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:

>> If you are looking for something more turnkey, you may want to consider building packages for a few of the common distributions. It has been on my TODO list for some time to gather the instructions on how to do this from all of the various mailing list posts, but the information is out there.
>>
>    FWIW, I've uploaded rpm packages for nut version 2.6.5 built for EL5/x86_64 ( i.e. they should be usable for CentOS 5, Scientific Linux 5, RHEL 5) at https://wolfy.fedorapeople.org/nut/

That's good to know about, but in this case, I was referring to Rob's situation where his company is building an UPS that is not yet supported by a released version of NUT.

Does Fedora have something like Ubuntu's PPAs, where you can have multiple repositories for various testing builds? In general, a driver update shouldn't need any changes to other parts of the RPM packaging, so if there was an RPM for NUT 2.7.2, he could add a patch for their UPS, and have a 2.7.2+RTD version or whatnot. But similar to branches in version control, it would be useful to have several sub-repositories for testing, until those patches get merged into the master branch.

Another approach would be to make sure that the NUT documentation explains how an end user can take the latest distribution package, add the patches to go from that package's NUT version to the latest Git revision (possibly on a feature branch), and rebuild the RPMs themselves for testing. Granted, this may not work if startup scripts or other internals change, but I think it would be a step in the right direction. My information on SRPMS is somewhat dated - any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail