[Nut-upsuser] Install problems (group permissions) with nut 2.7.2

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 00:48:24 UTC 2015

On Mar 9, 2015, at 12:00 PM, Rob Groner <rgroner at RTD.com> wrote:

> 1) Autoreconf *must* be run, and not ./configure?  I had thought that putting in my *.c and *.h files and making the makefile changes and then executing ./configure for the first time would be enough.

Each tool serves a different purpose. autoreconf (and NUT's autogen.sh, by inclusion) generates the ./configure script. I think it typically runs it as well, but often you would re-run it with "--prefix=" or other arguments (such as "--with-drivers=usbhid-ups" to cut down on compilation time).

It occurred to me that your driver will be introducing new USB VID:PID entries, so this is something else that autogen.sh does: it rebuilds the udev files that change permissions when the UPS gets plugged in.

I mentioned pulling in a copy of autogen.sh earlier, and I'm not sure what other developer-only scripts are left out of the tarball. We really only heavily test two cases: building from Git, and building from a clean tarball. Small patches to the tarball are easy; structural changes like adding files are harder to guarantee that they will work.

That, plus the fact that 2.7.2 still has the old prefix number on the udev files, means you might be better off starting from the latest Git version of NUT, or at least including the following patch:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/commit/040c800efad46ead9670077c9764360802d7aaf5

Reference:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/140

--